Thursday, December 20, 2012

Ice skating?!?

Today, as I was dropping Myra off at daycare, I noticed that today's field trip (lots of them since it's winter break in her school district already) was for a local bouncy house place. Yippee! I knew she would love all that sensory input. I gladly signed her up and paid the 5 bucks... because, actually, you have to, since there isn't staff left at the daycare to watch your child should she decide not to go on a field trip. Dangit...

Then I looked at tomorrows field trip. Ice Skating. Double Dangit. Myra tried Roller skating this summer and due to her lack of vestibular balance and poor motor skills, it was a disaster, and she HATED it. I knew that if one added cold to the mix, she would DEFINITELY be out! I checked with the daycare.. no way that she could stay behind. I made a couple of quick phone calls for alternate daycare arrangements, and found one where she could go.. they would be caroling, but at least on solid ground. The only downside.. she HATES that daycare.  There is a kid there with Down's Syndrome who always pulls on her clothing to try to get her to play.. because she's one of the only kids who is somewhat near her level... and Myra can't get her to stop and neither do the teachers. And for those of you out there with a kid with SPD, you know how they freak out when someone pulls on their clothes.. it's really nerve wracking.  So tonight, I told Myra about the ice skating. And as predicted, she pulled a face and said, "Ugh, I do NOT want to do that!" I told her about the alternative, and didn't even mention the child involved. She asked what daycare the alternative was at, I told her, and she immediately said, "No, I will try ice skating." Tells you how frustrated/powerless she feels at the other daycare, which, mercifully, I only have to use on Saturdays once in a while.

So, to get her ready for this massive undertaking. First of all, its great news that she even wants to try. Shows you how much maturing she has done in the last few months. So, its my job as the mom to set her up for sucess. Which in this case, there is going to be a lot riding on... the outfit. Yep... what she will wear. Okay... So first, I will pull out her snow gloves, since the first time she falls and her hands touch the ice, she will not be able to handle it. Once her hands get cold, she starts screaming... apparently there is a horrible bone ache/burn/fires of hell feeling... I dont really get it, but I understand. Okay, check.. gonna throw her brothers pair in her backpack discreetly in case hers get ripped or whatever... the daycare can throw his on her hands and I'll buy him more later. And a hat, that stays on her head but doesnt bug her with elastic or ties.

Secondly, what she will wear. I know she needs her knees well covered, but i dont have knee pads; and I know she'll need some pants that tuck well into her skates so they dont bug her by bunching around the ankles or drape over her skate and cause her to fall... SPD kids HAVE to be able to see their feet at all times...  And if she just wears jeans she will get too cold, but if she wears fleece pants or sweatpants, they'll get wet and she'll be miserable. I dont have snowpants, nor the means to fork over the money for them, especially considering she'll wear them once, maybe twice before she outgrows them. We just dont get snow around here much. I think I will send her with leggings on underneath (stretched tight so there will be no wrinkles of course) and skinny jeans on over that. 2 pairs of undies and 2 pairs of socks, the former to eliminate her rear getting too cold and the latter to stop the skates from rubbing on her toes or ankles.

The shirt(s) are easier. She has tons of sensory friendly shirts, so I will just layer a few of them and put on a warm coat or sweater on top that has narrow(ish) wrist openings so no ice chips or wetness will find its way between the gloves and her sleeve to her skin.

Whew!!! It's 1 am but I think I finally have everything pounded out. I will toss a thermos of something warm in the backpack and an extra change of clothes for as soon as she gets off the ice, as well as a couple of those hand warmer things where you pop the thingy and it gets all warm for like a minute... the daycare will appreciate these if she happens to get her hands cold (God forbid!)

This is typical event prep for us around here.... it's life though... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers